An Eco-Friendly Wardrobe, You Say? - Porsha Carr Blog

An Eco-Friendly Wardrobe, You Say?

This blog post contains affiliate links & is a contributed post from a series of contributed post to come. This blog was not written by PorshaCarrBlog.com. For more information on contributed post click here.



Image Source

Despite what everyone wants from a world of no judgment or disdain, our clothes say a lot about us.
We do a double take when it comes to wacky outfits that don’t conform to the norm, and while it’s never okay to make a snap judgment about somebody based on their sartorial choices, we often do. Your clothes do-- no matter what you may think - define who you are. They make a statement to the world about you and that’s why so many people are careful about the color choices that they make and the way that they wear certain outfits. Being eco-friendly in your clothing choices may not seem like something that is possible, but it really is! You can bring green living to the entire house, including the inside of your wardrobe, and with the tips below you can make it happen sooner than you think.


Make The Old New Again. How many times have you pushed a certain item of clothing to the back of the wardrobe just in case it comes back into fashion? Well, the time is now and you are the trendsetter. There’s no use throwing out clothing that will just end up in landfill, so make your old clothes new with newly sewn on buttons and zips and wear them again. If they’re not wearable, then donating them to thrift stores and shelters is the best option.

Wash A Little Less. You can make your clothes last longer than you thought simply by washing them a little less. If you hang them out to dry, too, you could stop using the tumble dryer so much and save on some energy. Washing takes its toll on clothing, wearing it out and making the fabric thinner over time. Avoid chlorine bleaches where possible, as these can damage the fibers over time.

Avoid The 80%-20% Rule. Currently, most people use the 80-20 rule with clothing. As in, 20% of it gets used whilst the other 80% hangs without being used. Start wearing some of the 80% that is left hanging, and you’ll find out there are more things to wear than you imagined.

Go Organic. Finding sustainable clothing isn’t always the easiest, but when you look for what are Lyocell jeans, you can find sustainable, organic materials that last longer and are breathable. Organic materials are manmade and so don’t need chemicals to preserve them or grow them. Organic cotton is the most eco-friendly material out there, so look for clothing labeled as such.

Be creative with your wardrobe and take inventory of everything that you have. If you move your clothing around in a rotation, you can ensure that you don’t waste any of the items that you have. Moving things to thrift stores and church sales can be better for your carbon footprint in the long term because you are spending less energy using and washing the clothes.

No comments